August 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm (Uncategorized)
…cos I feel like spelling phonetically. Finding it a bit different being in P6 rather than P3 (keep calling them P3 – doesn’t go down well) one of which is not needing to spell phonetically. All in all, I’m lovin’ it. I am so not a natural infant teacher.
But never mind all that, onto the card. I did two things on this card I have never done before….
1. I used a digital image. I have never been that pulled by digital images because I do love the physical act of stamping. But Tammy’s art work is just too amazing to pass up on. Check out her blog here, and especially her fairytale images – Disney, see them and weep. Lovely, lovely images. Irresistable.
2. I coloured in with alcohol markers. I know, I know. I have jumped on the over-priced felt-tip markers band-wagon (but they smell so good …tee-hee!!!! ) I had been casing out Promarkers for a while (Copics? Not. A. Chance) and then saw that Crafters Companion had brought out a range called Spectrum Noir that are quite affordable. So I thought I’d give it a go. I bought the Pinks, Yellows, Essentials and Greens – which I’m still waiting for. I don’t think the Pink range is particularly well chosen, but the Yellows are a real family of colour. I reckon I’ll be investing in some other colours though ! I love how the colours blend seamlessly !
Anyhow. The card.
* image is Spring Swing from A Day for Daisies Etsy and coloured with Spectrum Noir pens.
* Panel is distressed with TIm Holtz distress inks. I am particularly liking the blend of green and blue. It’s the “use a dirty piece of acetate as your blending mat” technique….
* all else is stash !
This was the first image I chose from A Day For Daisies, because this IS my DD !!! Seriously ! It’s like a photo of her was taken !!!
I’m going to enter this into the current CPS challenge and away to play a bit more with everything ! Have a great weekend – DOCTOR WHO IS BACK ON SATURDAY !!!!!
August 21, 2011 at 9:02 am (Uncategorized)
So this card’ll bring me up to a round 10 for the A Passion for Papertrey challenge. Good grief – that’s ridiculous. I guess I just got on a roll and went with it. It doesn’t help that there is so much FABULOUS inspiration out there – and this card is no exception. I was browsing a few blogs today and clicked on Laurie Schmidlin’s blog for the first time. My, she does nice stuff ! But it was this card that caught my eye for DH’s birthday in November. Ladies, never complain that your husband isn’t interested in your cards – mine critiques them, and he’s the Simon Cowell of cards – picky, picky, picky. So honestly ? no idea if he’ll like it – I’ll let you know in November.
I hand drew the outer heart and filled it with cricutted primitive hearts in various shades. I popped up that gold mirri one to make it a focus and I MAJORALLY distressed the edges of the 2 layers.
* sentiment is from Papertery Ink’s Beyond Basic Borders
And I seriously am finished now. We’re out to church then lunch, so by the time I get home it’ll be getting ready for school and bed. So, that’s all folks ….well, for this challenge !
August 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm (Uncategorized)
… you guys are never going to believe a word I say again, right ?
Ah, well, too bad ! I may have lost your trust …but I’m now on January 2012 birthdays !! This is for my FIL who actually gave me the lovely fancy stamps at the bottom of the card – and they are all places he’s visited in the last few years so it’s double sentimental !
* image is Papertrey Ink’s Fly Away ( sheesh ! I’ve got a load of cards from that $5 set !!! )
* postage stamps are actual-factual-genuine-from-letters !! I trimmed them with my postage scissors.
…and I discovered a cool cloud trick ! I cut a semi -circle mask using my scalloped scissors and I’m thrilled with the result ! Now I can spend cloud die money on much prettier things !!
So, this is going in the A Passion For Papertrey’s men challenge. I would say it’s my last …but I don’t think you guys believe me about anything anymore…. !!
August 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm (Uncategorized)
… I promised. No more male A Passion for Papertrey Challenge cards. Well, I lied. This one kinda snuck up on me. I was browsing the PTI girls blogs and came across this by Maile, my eye fell on the Masculine Motifs from PTI out on my desk and I had my dad’s birthday card !
Dad sailed a Tall Ship to the Canaries a few years ago, so ships have always been a go-to. The sea is another story. When we were little, my dad used to ask us how many colours we could see in the sea – well, have you ever seen a sea that is flat blue ? – so I used Tumbled Glass, Weathered Wood, Milled Lavendar and Shabby Shutter Distress inks to make my sea. The frame looks flat in the photo, but it is actually popped up a bit for dimension.
Well, chances are this WILL be my last APFP entry as I only have one more male birthday ’til Christmas and I don’t plan to do that before the October holidays. But you never know… !!
* Boat image is Papertrey Ink’s Masculine Motifs
* birds are small seagulls from Beeswax !
August 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm (Uncategorized)
…is CASEd straight from Dawn McVey of Papertrey Ink fame. She rocks. I love her colour choices and her eye for detail. Anyhow, if you want to see the card I CASEd, I think you’ll have to go to the PTI gallery for the All Booked Up stamp set, but do check her blog. Pretty things.
* Image and sentiment is Papertrey Ink’s All Booked Up
* the pink panel is embossed with the Papertrey Ink’s Book Print Impression plate ( I never feel I get these crisp enough – any hints folks ?)
* all else is stash.
This is for petrolhead Emma. We share a love of reading, and we share books – she got me into Twilight ( although I agree with Stephen King – “Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.” Ah, well… we’d all still like to be loved as Edward loves Bella – and I am… ;P !! )
August 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm (Uncategorized)
.. or female – kinda think this would do for either… !
It’s based on a FAB card I saw by Chrissie – I loved how she up-ended her All Booked Up die, and I love the peek-a-boo effect of the plane. i also loved her colour scheme – so this is really quite CASEd.
* peek-a-boo image is Fly Away by Papertrey Ink
* die and frame are Papertrey Ink’s All Booked Up
* sentiment is Papertery Ink’s Fillable Frames 5
* background paper strip is Butterfly Joy Paisley by Karen Neuburger for Paper Adventures. Again, I am entering this for A Passion for Papertrey’s challenge ! This challenge seems to be really popular, considering how difficult male cards can be, so if you’re lacking a bit of male inspiration, this would be a great jumping off point !
August 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm (Uncategorized)
I have been doing some tidying up this summer and decide to bite the bullet with our stationary box that was full of writing paper and cards. Well, if I’m sending a letter these days, I tend to make my own cards – and some of the materials in this box were so old they were bought from John Menzies !! – so I put a lot in a packet and gave them to my mum ( who wasn’t that grateful !!!) One thing I did keep was some airmail envelopes, because I was inspired to make a set of these…
* Image and sentiment is Papertery Ink’s Fly Away
This was super simple – stamp, colour and emboss. Rattled the lot out in half an hour, and I am going to enter them into the A Passion for Papertrey challenge. Yeah, I seem to be churning cards out just now, and there’s a very good reason for that… school starts on Monday and I know my crafting time will become quite limited to printing and laminating – be still my heart !
August 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm (Uncategorized)
Next on the (male) birthday list is DH’s Papa. This man is so cool – he will be 96 on his next birthday, is still totally independent and visits “the old folk” once a week ! I love making cards for him as he really treasures them – he has framed three of them in the past. Hopefully, he likes this one too !
* image is Papertrey Ink’s Through the Trees ( I LOVE this set – it is perfect )
* sentiment is from Kanban’s Cavendish Ladies’ Day at the Races
The green paper has avery subtle golden shimmer to it – I horde this paper, but Papa is so worth it !
As it is a male card, and has a Papertrey stamp … yeah, you guessed ! It’s going in the A Passion for Papertrey challenge !
August 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm (Uncategorized)
I’m having a day of filling the birthday book – this is the next birthday in line, for ….um…. tomorrow… !!!
There is a smidge of a story around this card – remember the Malteser ad about the wide mouth frog ? Well, the gentleman who this card is intended for has a smile as wide as a wide mouth frog – so it’s kinda been a nickname ever since.
*image is a magazine freebie (although I’m thinking Polka Doodles perhaps ?)
* sentiment is ?
*scalloped circle and mat stack 4 are Papertrey Ink
* background paper is ?
I’m entering it for the new A Passion for Papertrey challenge – For the Boys ! As I have several male cards to make today , this might be the first of a few !
Hey, it also qualifies for the Critter challenge on Here Come The Boys ! Hello, serendipity !
August 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm (Uncategorized)
Actually, this card is for a couple of kids who weren’t born when the birthday book was made, so I’m glad I remembered. Normally it’s a bit “oooops…..” then a frantic scramble ( particularly as both birthdays are just before Christmas….! ) so, excuse me, but I’m feeling a bit smug about remembering !
This was inspired by Christina at Sea Glass and Sentiments. Her blog is full of card-y goodness – please go and check her out !
Background paper and vehicle stamps are from TCP Studios – sorry, but I can’t locate a supplier !
Tag is Papertrey Ink’s tag Sale 2
Lines on tag are Stampin’ Up’s Perfectly Plaid (try Ebay ?)
Ribbon is Dovecraft’s “Just for You”
I Stickled the windows with Tim Holtz Clear Rock Candy
I hope their parents like it – well, the two wee boys are under 3, I’m under no illusions that the gift will be far more interesting to them !
I am entering this into the new A Passion for Papertrey Challenge – For the boys !